Stephen Anderson taught at Winchester for 35 years, for 25 of them as Head of the Classics Department, and later as Senior Tutor. Throughout his career he has been heavily involved in public examining, and is still a Principal Examiner in Greek for Cambridge Pre-U. He is a regular tutor at the JACT Greek Summer School and at Cambridge University’s Institute of Continuing Education at Madingley Hall, and is a Vice-President (and former President) of the Southampton Branch of the Classical Association.
Stephen’s primary teaching duties are with New College Classics undergraduates, both in groups and individually. He provides reading classes, practice in unseen translation, and instruction in Prose and Verse Composition.
Stephen’s specialist interests include:
• Latin and Greek Language and Language Teaching
• Epic Poetry (he is currently working on a JACT edition of Iliad XVI)
• Roman Letter-Writing
- Greek Unseen Translation (with John Taylor), BCP 2005
- Advanced Latin: Materials for A2 and Pre-U (with James Morwood and Katharine Radice)
- Writing Greek (with John Taylor), BCP 2010
- A Little Greek Reader (with James Morwood), OUP 2014
- Anabasis IV (Xenophon), edited with introduction, Commentary and Vocabulary (in OCR Anthology for Classical Greek 2019 – 2021, forthcoming from Bloomsbury in April 2018)