New College's Step Up programme is designed to inspire and support state school students throughout Year 11, 12 and 13. It will attempt to ensure that these students are fully equipped and effectively supported so that they recognise Oxford as a realistic and achievable option for them in the future.
We are working with students of high academic potential from a number of schools, attempting to ensure that these students are fully equipped and effectively supported to recognise Oxford as a realistic and achievable option for them.
Over 7 steps, either at their school or at New College, we familiarise them with what being an Oxford student is really like and support them to build a competitive application to top universities, whether that ends up being to the University of Oxford or not.
Step Up launched in the academic year 2017/18, working with students in 10 schools.
Due to the programme's positive reception and New College's continuing commitment to widening Access, we have expanded Step Up significantly for 2018/19.
All of our 21 partner schools for this year are listed below:
Joined in 2017/18:
- Cheney School - Oxford
- Gloucester High School for Girls - Gloucester
- Lord Williams' School - Thame
- Newham Collegiate Sixth Form - London
- Peter Symonds College - Winchester
- Queen Mary's Grammar School - Walsall
- St Angela's School - London
- Thomas Hardye School - Dorchester
- Westwood College - Leek
- Wren Academy - London
- Aldridge School - Walsall
- Bilborough College - Nottingham
- Calderstones School - Liverpool
- Cardinal Newman Catholic School - Hove
- Clapton Girls' Academy - London
- Haberdashers' Askes' Hatcham College - London
- Nelson & Colne College - Burnley
- Oaklands School - London
- Oxford Spires Academy - Oxford
- Thorp Academy - Tyne & Wear
- Treorchy Comprehensive School - Rhondda, Wales