• 2004- Galsworthy Fellow in English, New College; Fellow Librarian (2011-); Senior Tutor (2018-)
• 2000-2004: Research Fellow, Downing College, Cambridge
• 1995-2000: BA, MA, MSt, DPhil, New College and Linacre College, Oxford
• 1989-1995: Madras College, St Andrews (state)
For the college, at undergraduate level I teach all aspects of English literature c. 1500-c. 1830. I am also Senior Tutor, Fellow Librarian, and one of the two college trustees for the annual college Reading Party in the Alps. I am a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries (2015-), and a Fellow (governor) of our sibling in Winchester, Winchester College (2015-). At graduate level, I supervise doctorates in both English and History. I am also, with James Willoughby of New College, the co-editor of the Bibliographical Society’s journal, The Library, which appears quarterly.
My interests lie in the field of early modern studies, specifically:
• Literary history
• Intellectual history
• History of science
• Bibliography and palaeography
• History of libraries and collections
My specific current projects are:
• Early European sinology, c. 1580-c. 1740
• Oxford books and book economy from c. 1580 to c. 1700,
• The Scottish Neo-Latin poet Peter Goldman of Dundee (1587/8-1628)
• The shelf-lists and benefactors register of Oxford’s Anatomy School Museum, c. 1630-1780
• An edition of the correspondence of experimental philosopher Robert Hooke
• A co-edited edition of the correspondence of the antiquary John Aubrey
I have published over a hundred articles or chapters for learned journals or edited collections. Books and editions include:
• Thomas Hyde, Epistola de mensuris et ponderibus Serum seu Sinensium (Oxford, 1688): A forgotten chapter in the history of Sinology. Oxford: Editiones Rariores, 2021.
• Wykehamist Pattern Poems, 1573–1618. With Jessi Glueck and Stephen Anderson. (Winchester, 2021).
• John Milton, Manuscript Writings. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2019.
• Geometry and Astronomy in New College, Oxford: On the Quatercentenary of the Savilian Professorships, 1619–2019. With Christopher Skelton-Foord. Oxford: New College, 2019.
• John Fell’s New Year Books, 1666–1686. Oxford: Oxford Bibliographical Society, 2018.
• John Wilkins (1614–1672): New Essays. Leiden: Brill, 2017.
• Milton and the Making of ‘Paradise Lost’. Harvard: Harvard University Press, 2017.
• ‘The Letters of Shen Fuzong to Thomas Hyde, 1687-88’, electronic British Library Journal (2015), article 9.
• Wadham College Books in the Age of John Wilkins (1614–1672). Oxford: Wadham College, 2014.
• John Milton, Areopagitica and Other Writings. London: Penguin, 2014.
• John Aubrey and the Advancement of Learning. Oxford: Bodleian Library, 2010.
• The World-Makers: Scientists of the Restoration and the Search for the Origins of the Earth. Oxford: Peter Lang, 2010.
• Francis Lodwick, Writings on Language, Theology, and Utopia, ed. Henderson and Poole. Oxford: OUP, 2010.
• Milton and the Idea of the Fall. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2005; paperback 2009.
• Francis Godwin, The Man in the Moone (1638). Ontario: Broadview Press, 2009.
Read more about our tutorial system and what it offers all of our students.
Discover more about New College
Find out more about what it is like studying at one of the largest but friendliest Colleges in Oxford.
Open to all, we are a diverse and inclusive family. Found out more about our Access initiatives and inclusive programs for new entrants