• 2004- Galsworthy Fellow in English, New College; Senior Tutor; Fellow Librarian
• 2000-2004: Research Fellow, Downing College, Cambridge
• 1995-2000: BA, MA, MSt, DPhil, New College and Linacre College, Oxford
• 1989-1995: Madras College, St Andrews (state)
For the college, at undergraduate level I teach all aspects of English literature c. 1500-c. 1830. At the graduate level, I have taught palaeography, and supervised and examined several doctorates in and beyond Oxford in both English and History. I am also the Fellow Librarian. I run the termly New College Conversations, and am one of the two college trustees for the annual college Reading Party in the Alps. I also edit the college library’s journal, New College Notes. I am a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries (2015), and a Fellow (governor) of our sibling in Winchester, Winchester College (2015). I have always valued New College for its cultivation of scholarship and scepticism.
My research lies in the field of early modern studies, specifically:
• Literary history
• Intellectual history
• History of science
• Bibliography and palaeography
• History of libraries and collections
My specific current projects are:
• Early European sinology, c. 1580-c. 1740
• Oxford books and book economy from c. 1580 to c. 1700,
• The Scottish Neo-Latin poet Peter Goldman of Dundee (1587/8-1628) and his times
• The shelf-lists and benefactors register of Oxford’s Anatomy School Museum, c. 1630-1780
• The early seventeenth-century Oxford academic play The Sophister/ Fallacy
• An edition of the correspondence of experimental philosopher Robert Hooke
• A co-edited edition of the correspondence of the antiquary John Aubrey
I have published around a hundred articles or chapters for learned journals or collections. I am also, with James Willoughby of New College, the co-editor of the Bibliographical Society’s journal, The Library, which appears quarterly. A dozen books or editions from the last decade are:
- John Milton, Manuscript Writings. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2018 forthcoming.
- John Fell’s New Year Books, 1666–1686. Oxford: Oxford Bibliographical Society, 2018.
- John Wilkins (1614–1672): New Essays. Leiden: Brill, 2017.
- Milton and the Making of ‘Paradise Lost’. Harvard: Harvard University Press, 2017.
- The Letters of Shen Fuzong to Thomas Hyde, 1687-88’, electronic British Library Journal (2015), article 9.
- Wadham College Books in the Age of John Wilkins (1614–1672). Oxford: Wadham College, 2014.
- John Milton, Areopagitica and Other Writings. London: Penguin, 2014.
- John Aubrey and the Advancement of Learning. Oxford: Bodleian Library, 2010.
- The World-Makers: Scientists of the Restoration and the Search for the Origins of the Earth. Oxford: Peter Lang, 2010.
- Francis Lodwick, Writings on Language, Theology, and Utopia, ed. Henderson and Poole. Oxford: OUP, 2010.
- Milton and the Idea of the Fall. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2005; paperback 2009.
- Francis Godwin, The Man in the Moone (1638). Ontario: Broadview Press, 2009.