University of Oxford degrees are conferred at graduation ceremonies held in the Sheldonian Theatre.
Degrees may be conferred by attendance at a ceremony at the University or in absentia. New College presents graduands at approximately 6 or 7 degree ceremonies during the academic year. There is no limit on the number of ceremony places for conferment in absentia.
Each graduand is allocated 2 guest ceremony tickets by the University, and guests can, of course, attend the optional lunch or drinks reception at College afterwards.
The College will hire the relevant gowns for graduands. Orders for gowns and the specific College event are made through the website. Full details are sent to graduands about 2 months before their graduation.
Our photographer will be available to take photos in College, with online orders taken afterwards.
There will be the option to watch the ceremony online, using mobile devices, for family/friends not attending the ceremony. The live video link will be available nearer the time.
There is plenty of information available on the Degree Ceremonies webpage (Degree ceremonies | University of Oxford); including:
- a short video guiding graduands through what will happen on the day.
- a digital Degree Day Brochure providing a detailed explanation of the ceremony, complete with a translation of the Latin script.
- an extensive FAQ section is also available, should graduands or their guests require further information on everything from dress code to venue accessibility.
- Updated guidance on children attending degree ceremonies: children may attend the ceremony at the Sheldonian Theatre. It is important to note that, as a Grade 1 listed building, certain areas of the Sheldonian’s seating spaces are not suitable for children under the age of six. Any child aged six and over, or a child who cannot sit on a parent's/guardian's lap during the ceremony, will count as a guest and require their own ticket.
- For those who find it safer and more comfortable, the Sheldonian provides a dedicated family friendly space – the Cecil Jackson Room - where live streaming of the ceremony is broadcasted. On the day, guests can seek assistance from the Sheldonian’s stewards who will provide guidance and assistance.
The remaining 2023/24 New College Degree Day dates are:
Saturday 4 November 2023 at 10:30-11:50
Saturday 24 February 2024 at 10:30-11:50
The provisional 2024/25 New College Degree Day dates are:
Saturday 13 July 2024 at 10:30-11:50
Saturday 27 July 2024 at 13:30-14:50
Friday 27 September 2024 at 10:30-11:50 (main undergraduate ceremony)
Saturday 1 March 2025 at 10:30-11:50
Saturday 8 March 2025 at 10:30-11:50
Saturday 17 May 2025 at 10:30-11:50
Saturday 31 May 2025 at 10:30-11:50
Booking a place at a degree ceremony
Taught course students will receive an email invitation from the Degree Conferrals Office during the start of their final year with information about booking a degree ceremony.
Research students will be contacted by the Degree Conferrals Office with potential degree ceremony dates once they have received leave to supplicate.
'Historic graduands' and potential MA (Oxon) graduands should contact email@example.com for information on available ceremony dates. MA (Oxon) degrees can be conferred in person at our ceremonies or in absentia at any one of the ceremonies across the University (https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/graduation/ceremonies)