University of Oxford degrees are conferred at graduation ceremonies held in the Sheldonian Theatre.
Degrees may be conferred by attendance at a ceremony at the University or in absentia. New College presents graduands at approximately 6 or 7 degree ceremonies during the academic year. There is no limit on the number of ceremony places for conferment in absentia.
Each graduand is allocated 2 guest ceremony tickets by the University, and guests can, of course, attend the optional lunch or drinks reception at College afterwards.
The College will hire the relevant gowns for graduands. Orders for gowns and the specific College event are made through the website. Full details are sent to graduands about 2 months before their graduation.
Our photographer will be available to take photos in College, with online orders taken afterwards.
There will be the option to watch the ceremony online, using mobile devices, for family/friends not attending the ceremony. The live video link will be available nearer the time.
There is plenty of information available on the Degree Ceremonies webpage (Degree ceremonies | University of Oxford); including:
- a short video guiding graduands through what will happen on the day.
- a digital Degree Day Brochure providing a detailed explanation of the ceremony, complete with a translation of the Latin script.
- an extensive FAQ section is also available, should graduands or their guests require further information on everything from dress code to venue accessibility.
- Children may attend the ceremony at the Sheldonian Theatre. However, it is important to follow the instructions of the Theatre's Stewards on the day as the following restrictions will apply:-
- Any child who cannot sit on a parent/guardian's lap will require their own Guest ticket.
- Guests with young children will be seated in the Stewards Gallery and away from the front row. This area has easy access to toilet facilities as well as the family-friendly Cecil Jackson room.
- Guests with unsettled children may be asked to relocate to the Cecil Jackson room if the ceremony or other guests are disrupted. This is a family-friendly, safer and more comfortable room, where live streaming of the ceremony is broadcast. Please note that Guest tickets are still required to use this room.
NOTE: These restrictions are necessary due to the solemn nature of the ceremony as well as the Sheldonian Theatre being a Grade I listed building, with dated seating areas. On the day, please seek guidance from the Sheldonian's Stewards who can provide assistance for all Guests.
The 2024/25 New College Degree Day dates are:
Saturday 13 July 2024 at 10:30-11:50
Saturday 27 July 2024 at 13:30-14:50
Friday 27 September 2024 at 10:30-11:50 (main undergraduate ceremony)
Saturday 1 March 2025 at 10:30-11:50
Saturday 8 March 2025 at 10:30-11:50
Saturday 17 May 2025 at 13:30-14:50
Saturday 31 May 2025 at 13:30-14:50
Booking a place at a degree ceremony
Taught course students will receive an email invitation from the Degree Conferrals Office during the start of their final year with information about booking a degree ceremony.
Research students will be contacted by the Degree Conferrals Office with potential degree ceremony dates once they have received leave to supplicate.
'Historic graduands' and potential MA (Oxon) graduands should contact email@example.com for information on available ceremony dates. MA (Oxon) degrees can be conferred in person at our ceremonies or in absentia at any one of the ceremonies across the University (https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/graduation/ceremonies)