Students are required to wear academic dress for matriculation, degree ceremonies and examinations.
You should wear the appropriate gown (we can advise), a mortar board or soft-cap, and your preferred sub fusc from the following list:
- One of:
- Dark suit with dark socks, or
- Dark skirt with black tights or stockings, or
- Dark trousers with dark socks
- Dark coat if required
- Black shoes
- Plain white collared shirt or blouse
- White bow tie, black bow tie, black full-length tie, or black ribbon.
The above list applies to people of all genders
You will need to provide your own sub fusc. You can easily purchase academic dress from several specialist clothing shops in the city: the staff there will be happy to help you if you’re in doubt about what you need. The two main outfitters in the city are Ede & Ravenscroft and Shepherd & Woodward.
The University website also has information on the regulations relating to academic dress.
New College’s team of porters are happy to provide advice and will have a number of second-hand items for sale in 0th Week of Michaelmas Term.