Scholarships for students starting a new graduate course at New College
New College offers a relatively large number of generous college awards for graduate study. Ordinarily, New College must be specified as the first choice college. Only applications for the start of a course will be eligible; no mid-course movement will be considered. For further details, please see the awards summary.
How to apply for a graduate award at New College
The closing date for consideration will be the University January application deadline. For information on how to apply for Clarendon and ASO awards, please see below. All applicants with an offer of a graduate place at New College will be considered automatically for the scholarships available unless a separate application process has been specified below. We aim to have decisions about scholarships by mid-May.
Scholarships for entry in 2023
|Clarendon Fund Awards||Duration of maximum fee liability||Research degree scholarships; details of application procedures available on the Clarendon website.||Full funding||Four|
|CSC-PAG Oxford Scholarships||Duration of maximum fee liability||Full-time DPhil students that are a national of or ordinarily resident in mainland China, and who are intending to return to China once their course is completed. Details of application procedures available on the University of Oxford website.||Full funding (supported by the China Scholarship Council, on behalf of the Chinese Ministry of Education)||Up to four|
|New College Humanities Scholarship||Duration of maximum fee liability||Applicants for a postgraduate research degree in Classics or Modern Languages||£10,000 per annum||One|
|1379 Old Members Scholarship||Duration of maximum fee liability||Applicants for a postgraduate research degree||£15,000 per annum.||One|
|UTS New College Scholarship||Duration of maximum fee liability||Research degree scholarship for students applying from the University of Technology Sydney.||Up to £16,500 per annum||One|
|Yeotown Scholarship||Duration of maximum fee liability||All students applying for a DPhil in Chemistry (or subjects related directly to Chemistry) will be considered for this award, based on the strength of their application. The scholarship is open to all applicants regardless of their initial college choice; however, this award is tenable at New College only.||Full fees and Research Council equivalent maintenance grant (in partnership with the Department of Chemistry)||One|
|Aso Group Scholarship||One year only||Students with Japanese as a first language; preference for students from Fukuoka Prefecture. Applicants for one-year postgraduate degrees in any subject. Download more information. Download application form.||£25,000||One|
|Black Academic Futures||Duration of maximum fee liability||Previously the Urowski scholarship, this funding now supports Black Academic Futures, offering UK Black and Mixed-Black students financial support to pursue graduate study at Oxford||Up to £18,750 per annum||One|
|Galant Scholarship||Duration of maximum fee liability||Humanities DPhil candidates (EU or Overseas)||£8,000 per annum||One|
|Schwarzman Scholarship||Duration of maximum fee liability||Humanities DPhil candidates||£17,688 per annum||One|
|Juel Jensen Scholarship||Duration of maximum fee liability||Graduate applicants for Classics or English||Full fees and living costs||One|
Other sources of funding
The University of Oxford has a generous system of scholarships, details of which can be found on the University website.
General support for current New College graduate students
New College offers all of its graduates various types of financial assistance:
- A travel grant/research fund to which graduates can apply: £375 p.a. (and can accrue), for graduate students on research Masters and PRS/DPhil up to the end of maximum fee liability. This is primarily for necessary travel (e.g. conference attendance/archival visits), but some purchases (e.g. essential software) will be considered on their merits.
- £200 for students on a taught Masters. This is for necessary travel or research for a dissertation. Taught Masters comprise MSt, MSc by coursework, MBA, PGCE, LLM, BCL, MJur, MPhil.
- Medics on Electives can apply for special travel grants: up to £750 for placement outside the U.K. (NB only one award/elective per clinical medic over his/her course). A £250 equipment grant is also paid at the start of the course.
- The Tutor for Graduates has a small discretionary fund of £2,500 p.a. to cover exceptional costs, with average awards of £100-£200. Please apply directly to Prof. Ashleigh Griffin.
- Up to £1,500 p.a. on application to the Student Support Fund, which provides assistance based on financial need. This is administered by the College Development Office and application forms are circulated each February.
- Historians may apply to the history tutor, Prof. David Parrott for discretionary sums from the Reynolds Fund.
You can download forms for the above (other than the last three bullet points) which must be co-signed by your academic supervisor and then sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, and they will be processed by the Bursar. Forms should be accompanied by receipts where appropriate.
Fast Track Modern Languages courses (formerly OPAL)
Graduates entitled to a research allowance may charge up to half their Fast Track course fee to that allowance, on the understanding that the other half of the fee should be sought from their faculty. Graduates not entitled to a research allowance may apply to the college for half of the fee, but they must be able to make a good case for the language being directly relevant to their work. If you wish to seek reimbursement, please email email@example.com.
How are Scholarships/Awards paid?
Your scholarship will be paid direct to your Battels account in either quarterly/termly payments or in full depending on the type of Scholarship/Award. If this results in a credit balance on your account it will then be refunded to your bank account details. Please ensure you update the Bursary with your bank details to receive prompt payment of any credit held. You can update them via the Meals Bookings site on Bank Details tab. Payment runs are made during First Week, then mid and the end of each month.
Discover more about New College