Accommodation for Graduate Freshers

The majority of graduate students coming from outside the UK can be housed in College accommodation in their first year with a reasonable chance of a second year of housing. Oxford University graduates are not guaranteed accommodation, but many are accommodated for one year. The limited number of rooms for second year students are decided by means of a rooms ballot. The College supplements its housing stock for graduate students by renting a number of en-suite graduate rooms in three flats in blocks F and G at the University's Castle Mill site, and these are allocated to new and continuing graduates. For further information on Castle Mill please see where you will find links to the tenancy agreements, rents, letting periods, how to pick up keys and other useful information.

College-owned graduate accommodation is mainly situated at the Weston Buildings, which were built in the mid and late 1990s and are located alongside a branch of the River Cherwell at the College Sports Ground, a 7-minute walk from the College. The Weston Buildings comprise 16 houses with 6 single rooms and 3 bathrooms to a house. Each house has a large, modern kitchen with a dining area looking out onto the sports-field. The address is: (House number) Weston Buildings, New College Sports Ground, St. Cross Road, OXFORD OX1 3TJ.

All College-owned graduate rooms are single study bedrooms. Bathrooms and toilet facilities in the Weston Buildings are not en-suite, but are shared between two rooms. All graduate rooms are let on a self-catering basis. There is a kitchen in each house with ‘fridge/freezer, hob, oven and microwave but you need to bring your own kitchen utensils, posts, pans, plates and so on.

The room charge covers all domestic services, insurance, heating, lighting and Ethernet/LAN connection. Students will need to bring their own towels, duvets, pillows, duvet covers, sheets and pillow cases. Alternatively, bedding can be purchased online at and sent to the College in advance of your arrival. Please ensure that your name and status (Postgraduate or Undergraduate) are clearly given when ordering. The delivery address is New College, Oxford, OX1 3BN. 

Card operated washing machines and driers are available in the Weston Buildings.

Charges for graduate accommodation can be found at 

When you arrive at the start of Michaelmas Term, you will need to:

  • collect your room key from the Lodge either in the Weston Buildings at the Sports Ground (open until 9 pm on weekdays and 3 pm at weekends), or from the main College Lodge in Holywell Street outside these hours.

If you have any particular requirement, for example regarding access, you should contact the Home Bursar (telephone 01865 279560) as soon as possible.

The Graduate room ballot and allocation of accommodation

The details of the Graduate room ballot will be posted during the 2015-16 academic year.

Private accommodation

The University Land Agent's and Accommodation Office can help undergraduate and graduate students with their search for private housing, free of charge.

Graduate students can also be helped with University Graduate Housing.

Students with physical disabilities

Students with physical disabilities are encouraged to consult the Home Bursar about their specific needs.

Accommodation for couples and families

The College regrets that it has no graduate accommodation for couples and families.