• Health Costs 
  • Mindfulness at New College
  • Meningitis
  • Vaccinations
  • Anaphylaxis
  • NHS information
  • Physiotherapy
  • Sexual health
  • Mental health
  • Travel advice
  • Health guidelines
  • Occupational health for Medical students and post graduates
  • Useful links

Help with Health costs

Some students are eligible for help with health costs on the grounds of low income (not just because you are a student) from the NHS Low Income Scheme. To apply for an HC2 certificate, you should complete form HC1 if you qualify for support. You will then receive help towards the costs of NHS prescriptionsNHS dental careEye care.

You can get a HC1 form from your GP surgery or dentist. Click here for more information about HC1 forms.

Health guidelines

Every year the University issues Health Guidelines to staff and students. These include information on meningitis, vaccinations, anaphylaxis, and sexual health. In the event of an epidemic or pandemic it may also release information on the advice of the Health Protection Agency.


If you are entering higher education for the first time you should be vaccinated against Meningitis C, ideally before coming to the University. This applies to all new students, regardless of age. If you have not already been immunised before arrival, this can be done by your college doctor.

It is important to remember that this vaccination only gives protection against the group C strain of meningitis. You should be vigilant for the signs and symptoms of the group B strain of meningitis.

Vital Signs


Occupational Health

For some courses, students may be required to undergo health screening from the University's Occupational Health Service. You will be advised by your College if this is a requirement of your course.

Quick Links: