Robert ParkerMA DPhil Oxf FBA
Professorial Fellow; Wykeham Professor of Ancient History
Robert has been Wykeham Professor of Ancient (Greek) History since 1996. Before that he was Tutor in Greek and Latin Languages and Literature at Oriel College, Oxford; before that, an undergraduate and graduate at New College. He has also taught at Cornell.
Robert lectures (and supervises) on ancient Greek history, religion and inscriptions.
Robert studies ancient Greek society from an anthropological perspective; in particular, he is interested in how the Greeks' thought and behaviour was shaped by their religious beliefs.
- Miasma: Pollution and Purification in Early Greek Religion (Oxford, 1983)
- Athenian Religion: a History (Oxford, 1996)
- Polytheism and Society at Athens (Oxford, 2005)
- Interpreting the Athenian Empire (co-editor) (London, 2009)
- On Greek Religion (Cornell, 2011)
Fellows & Staff